Friday, January 20, 2012

Reading Graphic Organizers on the Way!

June 2012 Update: Graphic Organizers for Reading is now available in a professionally-produced version, in both print and digital formats. You can find more information about the book on Teaching Resources.
*******************

Some of you may have noticed that I seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth! I'm seldom on Facebook and I haven't written a single blog post this week. Where's Laura? Kicking back and relaxing? You know me better than that!

Actually, I've been spending just about every waking hour trying to finish my newest book, Graphic Organizers for Reading: Teaching Tools Aligned with the Common Core. It's not finished yet, but I'm getting really close. I expect to finish the draft version today, but I'll still need to allow time for proofing and minor edits. Anyway, as I near the end of this project, I feel like a racehorse on the home stretch! My goal is in sight, and all I want to do is finish this book! When hiking with my husband, he often mentions how I mysteriously pick up speed at the end of a long hike when I should actually be slowing down. He used to enjoy horse-backing riding so he teases me, "You're like a horse heading back to the barn!" That's right where I am with this book!

Some of you may remember that this book actually started out as a chapter in the first few drafts of  Empowering Readers, my ebook about reading workshop. (That book is now Laura Candler's Power Reading Workshop: A Step-by-Step Guide.) But I soon realized that graphic organizers can be used with any reading program and the topic deserved to stand on its own. I was envisioning a "mini pack" of 20 or 30 pages. Little did I know that it would grow into a full ebook of over 100 pages! Graphic Organizers for Reading includes information about how to use these tools to create reading lessons and mini-lessons for Common Core Standards, and the book also includes dozens of ready-made graphic organizer templates to use with Informational Text and Literature. But even if your state has not adopted the Common Core, you'll be able to use every one of the graphic organizers because they are not specific to certain standards.

If you purchased membership in the Empowering Readers Learning Community last year, be sure to log on to your Yahoo account and access the group if you have not done so in awhile. There will be a very short window of time in which you can download your copy which will probably be from January 23rd through the end of the month. Unfortunately, if you have problems with Yahoo, I will not be able to help because I no longer have an assistant working with me. However, I do have everyone's email from the group and I will be contacting you by email to let you know how to claim your copy. Just be patient with me please because there are over 500 people in the group! :-)

I expect Graphic Organizers for Reading to be available for purchase no later than Saturday, January 28th. Be sure to sign up for my Candler's Classroom Connections newsletter to find out how to get 20% off that book and all my ebooks. Graphic Organizers for Reading will also be for sale in my TeachersPayTeachers.com store, and if you click the  "Follow Me" link on that page you'll be one of the first to know when the book is ready.

Okay, now it's time for me to head back to the barn and finish this project! Don't look for me until feeding time! :-)





Teaching Resources
http://www.lauracandler.com


5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to it, Laura! I know it will be a great addition to my professional library.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! What will the grade level be on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The grade level could be anything from grade 2 through 6 for sure and probably higher. I just don't know that they are aligned with the common core above grade 6 or so. I'm going to get feedback from teachers after I release it later today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sticking to it Laura, even with recent set backs. I truly appreciate your resources. They have helped me teach the way I envisioned teaching when I first entered the profession.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to announce that the book is finally done as of last night! Yeah! It's available on my Power Pack ordering page at http://www.lauracandler.com/books/powerpacks.php

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...