Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Gallon Robot Freebie!

Who can remember how many cups are in a gallon and how many pints are in a quart? I have to admit that I used to have to look this information up every time I needed it. The amounts are so arbitrary and random that I couldn't seem to memorize them. That all changed when I met Mr. Gallon, whom I affectionately renamed with the gender-free term Gallon Robot.

Variations of Mr. Gallon are all over the Internet, and I'm not sure if anyone knows exactly who dreamed up the concept. I first heard about it when my older daughter Wendy was in 3rd grade. Her teacher, Sue Simon, introduced her students to this visual aid so they could easily remember the conversions between gallons, quarts, cups, and pints. The large rectangle in the middle represents one gallon, the four pink rectangles represent four quarts, the green rectangles represent pints, and the small orange rectangles represent cups. When you look at the model, it's easy to see that there are 8 pints in a gallon, 2 pints in a quart, and so on. As soon as I met Mr. Gallon, I never had to look up those amounts again! I immediately taught the model to my 5th graders and began sharing the technique with teachers.

To  download the Gallon Robot Patterns freebie, visit the Measurement page in my Math File Cabinet or download it from my TpT store. The patterns are black and white outlines, and I suggest duplicating each part on a different color paper.

So what's new with Gallon Robot? 
A few months ago I started working on a packet of teaching materials to go along with the basic patterns, and it turned into a 50-page comprehensive resource for teaching and reviewing customary units of capacity. Gallon Robot to the Rescue is now available on my website and on TeachersPayTeachers. It includes cooperative learning activities, math center games, word problems, printables, teacher demonstration pages, and more! You can preview the entire ebook by visiting my Measurement page on Teaching Resources. If you teach customary units of capacity, you owe it to yourself to take a look at this time-saving resource. But even if you don't purchase the book, I hope you'll use  the free patterns so that Gallon Robot can come to your students' rescue!

By the way, if you are looking for more great measurement freebies, check out the Measurement Mania Freebie Collection below. Each freebie is from a different blogger and you can hop from blog to blog by clicking on the links below. I hope you enjoy them!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...