Monday, February 6, 2012

Mastering Math Facts in Action!

Math is one of my favorite subjects to teach, and for years I've preached the importance of making sure that ALL students learn their times tables. A few years ago, I wrote Mastering Math Facts, a system for motivating students and teaching them their math facts quickly and easily. It's been so gratifying to hear from teachers what a difference this program has made in their classrooms!

Now I'm excited to announce that I've signed a contract to publish Mastering Math Facts in print! I'm in the process of revising and updating the book, and I have a core group of teachers who are field-testing the materials now. Third grade teacher Suzy Huff Brooks of the Technically Invisible blog is one of my field-testers, and she's been using the materials with her students. She just posted a great video showing how she conducts her daily math fact drills in her classroom.


I loved watching Suzy's video because it was fun to see the kids using the program and how she implemented the techniques described in the book. Several of Suzy's management strategies were uniquely her own, and I picked up a few tips myself! Be sure to hop over to Suzy's Technically Invisible blog where you can watch the video yourself. I think you'll enjoy it too!

When you watch the video, you'll notice Suzy showing a multiplication practice board that looks like the one on the right.  In all fairness, I have to admit that this practice board isn't in the current version of Mastering Math Facts. It's a template that was suggested by my field-testers as a replacement for individual whiteboards, and I've decided to offer it as a freebie for those who might need it. You can duplicate it on card stock, and then laminate it or slide it into a sheet protector. You can find this item on the Multiplication page on Teaching Resources.

By the way, if you need Mastering Math Facts now and are wondering if you should wait for the revised version, I have good news! I spoke with my publisher and we have decided to send a free upgrade to anyone who has already purchased my ebook version or who buys it before the new one comes out! We'll also offer these same folks a great deal on the print version when it's ready later this summer.The icing on the cake is that I've just reduced the price of Mastering Math Facts several dollars and that deal will last from now until the revised version is available! If you're in need of free multiplication resources, be sure to visit my Multiplication page where you'll find a free webinar recording and links to fun multiplication websites. Enjoy!





Teaching Resources
http://www.lauracandler.com

10 comments:

  1. That is GREAT news! Congratulations!!!! Thanks for sharing!!

    Janaye
    Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use your system and book in my classroom---but after watching this video, I realize I use it in a completely different way! Now I am inspired to video tape my version, so that teachers can see how adaptable Mastering Math Facts is for each classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved your resources, I just saw that you are having a workshop in July in my area and I am so excited! I couldn't find any info about the fee for attending, will that come later?

    Second Grade Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Rozakos, I would love for you to send me a link to that video or post it here when it's done! I want to know how you do your math fact drills. That would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. T, where do you live? The Raleigh area? The prices will be the same as the ones advertised for Norfolk and I hope to get those registrations live this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I actually live in Raleigh and teach in a town close by. My colleagues were SUPER excited to hear that you were coming also! I will definitely look into registering soon!

      Second Grade Math Maniac

      Delete
  6. I love your blog! I've nominated you for an award, come on over to my blog to get it!

    Andrea
    Cheers to School

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog and what all you're doing with it. I'm inspired by the positive affect you have on education even though you aren't in the classroom. I wish there were more people that would follow their dreams and ambitions as you've done. I've recently started a website http://www.teacherparlor.com with a blog. One of my goals are to connect wonderful people that create incredible resources to teachers that can use them.

    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms. T, I've just added the registration information for the Raleigh workshop to this page Getting Started with Laura Candler's Power Reading Workshop. I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...