Friday, February 24, 2012

Story Hat Map for March 2nd

Even upper elementary and middle school teachers enjoy an occasional holiday activity if they can connect it to their teaching objectives. This Story Hat Map is perfect for March 2nd, a day when many classrooms celebrate Read Across America and Dr. Seuss's birthday. Why not read one of Dr. Seuss's more advanced books aloud such as Yertle the Turtle, and use it to teach story elements like characters, setting, conflict, resolution, and theme? Then allow your students to select from a collection of other Dr. Seuss books to read and map out on their own. You can download this freebie from the Seasonal page on Teaching Resources during March or any time of the year from my TeachersPayTeachers store.

If you like this hat map but would like a blank template to create your own, you can find it in my March Activities Mini Pack. You'll find lots of other great graphic organizers in my newest book, Graphic Organizers for Reading: Teaching Tools Aligned with the Common Core.

By the way, one reason I love this graphic organizer is that my daughter Wendy drew it for me. I have to say, it's wonderful having an artist in the family!






4 comments:

  1. I love this Laura!!!! Have you seen my adaptation of it?
    Check it out :) I'd love to hear what you think.
    http://www.ateacherstreasure.com/2012/02/seusstastic-ideas.html

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen from...
    A Teacher's Treasure
    Teaching Treasures Shop

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura ... I have been a fan of yours on TpT for a few months. Glad that I stumbled across your blog tonight after entering the Pinteresting Contest. Became a follower here too. Have a great weekend. We all know how quickly that they will fly by :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Story Map worksheet and recommendation to use it with more advanced Dr. Seuss text.

    If you are interested, I would love for you to post a link to this post on my blog to help us celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday. Here is a link to the linky:

    http://www.happybirthdayauthor.com/2012/02/happy-birthday-dr-seuss-march-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I HAD to choose a favorite blogspot, I would pick this one! Thank you for EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...