Friday, March 2, 2012

Science Comes Alive with LabTV!

Have you heard of LabTV? It's a free video series from the National Defense Education Program. Each video is just 5 minutes long and briefly covers an interesting topic involving science and math. I discovered this video series several years ago, and my class loved watching each episode! Each video covers a unique or interesting aspect of how science and technology are applied in careers or to solve challenges in everyday life. These shows introduce a few key vocabulary terms and focus on a specific application of a science concept.Topics include space science, robots, health and fitness, learning from dolphins, the technology of science fiction, and so much more!

After I discovered this great resource, I started each day by playing a short LabTV video clip. I created the simple graphic organizer shown on the left to use with the program. The Learning from LabTV graphic organizer has four sections, and each section includes a place for the students to write the episode title and either draw or write about key vocabulary and concepts. Because some of the concepts were challenging, we always discussed each show before I gave them class time to jot down what they had learned.


Using the Learning from LabTV graphic organizer helped my students stay focused on the video and made them aware that they were supposed to be learning something from it. I collected the form at the end of each week and graded it, which reinforced the idea that I expected them to pay attention and think about what they were watching.

If you haven't watched a LabTV show, take a moment to visit the National Defense Education Program site and so so now. But I'm warning you that if you like science, you might be stuck on that page for hours!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - I am so hooked! Do you mind if I write a mini-blog post and direct people over here to read yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would I mind? Of course I would love for you to send people over to my blog! Thanks! Aren't those videos great?

      Delete
  2. PERFECT for upper elementary grades! The pacing, language, and real-life application are just what my students NEED. The multimedia format is just what they WANT, though! Thanks for sharing this wonderful FREE resource!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think they are wonderful, too. I had forgotten all about them until I came across that graphic organizer on my website. I knew I needed to share it!

      Delete
  3. This is awesome, I think I might use this for my bell work in the morning! You are a life saver! This will really engage them.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LabTV is so cool! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just ran across your blog posted on pinterest. Was looking for short, non-fiction video picees to use in our non-fiction reading unit. Thanks for the resource!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Laura. I have graduated up to 7th grade science and I still find resources on your site that are applicable! Thanks again for sharing

    ReplyDelete