Monday, May 7, 2012

Teacher Appreciation DonorsChoose Link Up

DonorsChoose.org is an amazing non-profit organization that helps public school teachers in America obtain materials for their classrooms. The basic concept is that teachers write proposals and submit them online, and people who want to donate give money to support them. If you're a teacher and you don't know about DonorsChoose, it's definitely worth checking out. In fact, you might want to visit my page of DonorsChoose resources on my website where I have a free webinar that offers tips for writing great proposals.

I'm a big supporter of this organization because I received thousands of dollars of funding when I was in the classroom. Now that I'm no longer teaching, I love helping to fund DonorsChoose projects. In honor of Teacher Appreciation Week, I'm going to select at least 5 teachers who will receive $100 in funding towards their DonorsChoose projects! If I can find a matching code that works, I'll use that code to double my donation.

How to Submit Your DonorsChoose Project 
  1. Submit Link - May 7 - 9th - Submit the link to ONE DonorsChoose project below. Please link to your exact project page and not your teacher page on DonorsChoose. The link up will close at midnight on May 9th.
  2. Post on Facebook - May 7 - 11th - Visit my Facebook Wall and feel free to post about your project on any of my DonorsChoose status updates. Tell us a little about why your project is important and mention the item number in the link up. 
  3. Vote for Projects - May 10th and 11th - Voting starts on May 10th. Ask friends and family to visit this blog page and vote for your project. Each visitor may vote for 3 projects. The voting ends on Friday evening at midnight EST. 
How Projects Will Be Chosen
On Saturday I will review all of the projects, especially the top 10 according to votes. I generally choose from the top 10, but I do try to look at all of them and consider a few others. I like to pick a mix of subject areas and grade levels. I'll announce the winners on my blog and do Facebook shout outs for them throughout the weekend. I can't wait to read about all of the wonderful projects that will be submitted here! 




Directions: When you submit your DonorsChoose project, please enter the following in each field:
URL: Copy and past the exact URL of your DonorsChoose project page.
Name: Type the title of your project and not your name.
Email: Include a reliable email - this will not be seen but I can use it to contact you if needed

24 comments:

  1. http://www.donorschoose.org/project/career-days-via-skype/795964/ is my latest project that has a matching offer from Skype. I am requesting a laptop computer with a built in webcam to use to Skype people for Career Day. I can connect the laptop to my SMART BOard so that ALL kids can see the screen! This would also come in really handy for my kiddos with parents who are in the service overseas who have access to Skype!!! How cool to Skype with doctors in Maine, lawyers in Utah, engineers in San Francisco, and even soldiers in Afghanistan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.donorschoose.org/project/unobstructed-vision/751764/ is the project I am most passionate about. I am requesting a document camera. Our school has 6 among 40 teachers. In theory, they should be shared. I have never had one in my classroom. When writing my lesson plans I dream about having a document camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we do not have a project, may we submit aa friend's project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, but use your email address as the contact email.

      Delete
  4. http://www.donorschoose.org/project/books-for-boys/793290/?verify=-1733123661&challengeid=187703 My boys need to read! I watch the boys stand at the bookshelf. They continue to stand and only stare. There doesn't seem to be anything for them. Boys can quickly fall behind in school if they don't read. I offer them time but it seems that my bookshelf is not offering much opportunity. Where are all the "boy books"? There is a match code MORNINGJOE that has just been extended!

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.donorschoose.org/project/paper-paper-paper-our-classroom-need/741536/

    Paper, Paper, Paper! Our Classroom Needs Paper!

    Lisa Thompson
    lthompson@ozarkcityschools.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. My students need to be organized to be independent and take charge of their learning. I am requesting storage carts to house their supplies.
    http://www.donorschoose.org/project/a-place-for-everything-and-everything-i/778234/?verify=-2068859165

    ReplyDelete
  7. I submitted my project yesterday morning but I had my name instead of the project title. Here is the link if I can still get in: http://www.donorschoose.org/project/scientifically-speaking/793818/
    Title is Scientifically Speaking.
    submitted by Janis Bredehoft a small town teacher with big time needs! Thank you in advance for your consideration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm really sorry, but now that voting has begun, the link up is automatically closed and I can't add any more links. However, I love science and I love the magazine you are requesting, so I'll try to remember to take a look at it on Saturday. Is this subscription for next year? It's kind of late to be getting a subscription for this year.

      Delete
  8. Are you going to use any matching codes to help make your money go further? I think MORNINGJOE is still valid. Thanks for doing this. I heart your website!
    Susan at RodriguezRockStars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will definitely be using that code so some of these projects may get fully funded on Saturday!

      Delete
  9. Hi Laura,
    Is there a way to see how many votes each project has?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, each person may cast 3 votes. After you have voted, you'll see the other votes.

      Delete
    2. I just realized that I did not have that feature enabled before, so I corrected that problem. After you vote, you can see the other votes. Sorry about that!

      Delete
    3. Hi again...I still can't see how many votes each project has. What am I doing wrong?

      Delete
    4. You have to vote for 3 projects and then refresh your browser. It works for me, so it should work for you. If you haven't cast 3 votes, you can see any of the votes at all.

      Delete
  10. My project is #39- AMP up our speech/language skills with Apps. I just bought an Ipad to use with my speech/language students. I have bought some great apps. My students love them and are learning so much. The apps keep them engaged and their skills have increased so much. There are so many new apps that have come out for speech/language pathologists. The problem is they cost so much. They range from $10 to $90. They help me keep track of up to 4 students progress at one time. This helps me plan better therapy for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura, you are FABULOUS! I was too late to enter my project, but I hope I will be able to give back to the people working in the classrooms when I retire one day-gee, many years away, but I did just want you to know how impressed I am with your generosity! I love donorschoose and thank goodness I have been lucky enough to have some caring people, like you, that love it too!

    kellybrown28021@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura, I have a good problem to tell you about. I checked this afternoon and my project was fully funded! Do you mind if I post the Part 1 of my project to the comments even though people can't vote for it? My project was #27. An Organized Library Makes Reading a Blast Part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My project #7 is for Chair Balls (yoga balls) for my kinder students to sit on instead of chairs. The Cuties match that had funded half the project just disappeared. I'd really like to have 'Chair Balls For All' next year, so my students can sit comfortably. This seating choice is comfortable, healthier, and allows students to quietly get a few wiggles out. I hope I can get Part 2 funded, so I can post Part 3 and have a class set!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How about that...I made the top 10. Thanks to all of my teacher friends for helping me out.

    Laura, my project may not be as "exciting" as many that you read. But, it is a project needing some help. We have a few iPads in our school, but no way to show their magnificent wonder on the SmartBoard without the AVG adaptor cords.

    I appreciate your consideration and the opportunity to reach many who may consider funding this project through this link within your blog.

    Thank you for all of your wonderful ideas that I've "borrowed" for many, many years.

    You are truly inspiring.

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! You didn't say which project is yours. Was it #10?

      Delete
    2. Why did you need 3 adapters instead of just 1? I was confused about that part of your request.

      Delete
    3. Yes, it is listed as project #10. The three adapters are for more than one classroom. They will be used in the classrooms where I "travel" when I teach.

      Thanks, Laura.

      Elizabeth
      Fun in Room 4B

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...