Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sunday is DonorsChoose Day!

If you've been following my blog and Facebook page, you probably know that I'm a huge fan of DonorsChoose.org! In case you haven't heard of it, DonorsChoose is a website where public school teachers can post proposals for classroom projects and request funding from donors. Through the years, I received several thousand dollars in funding, and it really made a difference in the types of programs I could offer to my students. Now that I'm retired, I love helping to fund DonorsChoose projects. It's wonderful to know that my donations are helping teachers and kids! 

That's why I've decided to celebrate DonorsChoose Day every Sunday! I'll post a call on Facebook for proposals around 8 a.m. EST, and on Monday morning, I'll choose at least one to help fund. If you post your proposal link there, be sure to tell me about your project and why it's important to you. If I receive an overwhelming number of proposals, I will skim the entries and select about 10 to examine more closely before I make my decision. Follow me on Facebook to be sure you see my call for proposals.

In case you've tried posting proposals on DonorsChoose and have become discouraged, you should know that there's definitely an art and science to writing a project proposal that appeals to donors. However, if you learn a few tricks, it's amazingly easy to get money for your classroom projects. Last year I invited Francie Kugelman, a veteran DonorsChoose teacher, to share her secrets for how to get projects funded. She's received over $25,000 worth of funding, and she shared her tips in a webinar that you can watch from my DonorsChoose page on Teaching Resources. I highly recommend watching it if you are just starting out on DC. In fact, I was told by one of the customer service reps at DonorsChoose that they recommend this webinar to new users! 

Here are a few tips from my own experience about how to get projects funded:
  • Try to keep your project proposal under $500 because smaller projects are much more likely to get funded. If you need materials that are worth more than $500, divide up what you need and write several individual proposals. For example, don't ask for three iPads in one proposal. Write three different proposals and you are more likely to get at least one of them funded.
  • When you write your proposal, show your passion for your students and your project! Make it clear how much you love teaching and enjoy working with your students, and how deserving they are of receiving these materials.
  • As soon as your project goes live on the DC site, send a letter and/or an email to parents explaining your project and asking for donations. They might not be able to help, but they might have family members who can contribute. Any money they spend on your project is a tax-deductible donation. 
  • Check your email and stay on the lookout for special opportunities from DonorsChoose such as matching codes or additional funding from companies. 
If you are a public school teacher in the United States, you really need to check out DonorsChoose! It's a fabulous source of funding, and it won't cost you a dime to try it. Be sure to watch for my calls for proposals on Sunday mornings so you can submit your project link. If you don't have a current project, share this blog post with a friend who does!




Teaching Resources

24 comments:

  1. Wow! This is such a great service you are providing. I am the only teacher at my school using DC and I keep insisting that everyone join in, but no one is! I presented a powerpoint at a staff meeting last year, but still seems like no one is interested. How can this be!? It is such an AMAZING resource! Can't wait for Sunday, crossing my fingers! :)

    Miss Timaree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, thank you for bringing attention to the great projects on Donor's Choose. I have received great materials to carry out projects with my kids thanks to the generosity of others. I am not a Facebook person, but do have a DC proposal that recently received a nice donation to get us started! The proposal is for picture books so I can do a better job with the mini lessons in my Reader's Workshop. Here is the link to the project since I am not on Facebook. http://www.donorschoose.org/project/picturing-great-readers/816964/ Thanks for all you do to support teachers, I have your Power Reading Workshop book and have attended several of your workshops! Always soooo helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for showing me this option, I didn't even know it existed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura,

    Thank you so much for your incredible support and celebration of DonorsChoose.org! What a fantastic way to engage teachers and parents with "DonorsChoose.org Day." We wish you the best of luck with your blog and hope you have a wonderful summer!

    All the best,
    Jessica
    DonorsChoose.org Marketing Employee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, Thank you for this awesome opportunity. Love your blog and have shared it with many of my teacher friends. This is my 4th project on DC and I'm working to get it funded through www.oo.com as well. This project is to get books in the hands of my Kindergarten students, build excitement about reading and make that home to school connection. I've always provided books for them to take home each night but I'm finding that they are getting better and reading at higher levels each year so I need more higher level books. I used to give them a "prize" for each set of 10 books they read. With this project, I'm trying to get away from that and motivate them to read more by posting their pictures for all to see. Thanks for your help.My project is http://www.donorschoose.org/project/take-home-leveled-books-project/815971/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have used DC.org! I have received Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Percy Jackson from DC! I am working on creating my project for the Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so much help to so many teachers. Thanks for all you do. My project only has 28 days left. http://www.donorschoose.org/project/math-magic/708075/?verify=1006283402

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to remind everyone that you MUST post your project on my Facebook page to have it considered. I don't check this blog post for projects because this blog post was written over a week ago and will be viewed many times in the coming weeks. Go to http://www.facebook.com/TeachingResources and find the message from me this morning that calls for proposals. Write a description there and post your project proposal on that page. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.donorschoose.org/project/literacy-stations-for-chemistry/824364/

    Hey all! If you are looking for a place to use your donors choose deal or just a place to donate, my students are in need of calculators and whiteboards! The school's proficiency is as follows: Math: 1.6%, English: 12.4%. Percent of the student body on free and reduced-price lunch: 77%. Our students definitely need what resources they can get. Please donate what you can and check out our donors choose site. We really appreciate it! Much thanks :)

    - Erica

    ReplyDelete
  11. http://www.donorschoose.org/project/nursery-rhymes-for-the-wired-generation/803501/
    My proposal is to teach my first grade struggling readers nursery rhymes! I am a Title I teacher and when I work with my small groups, I am able to chant, sing, dance, or whatever I need to do to help them learn to read using these delightful rhymes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing, but make sure you post your project on my Facebook anouncement today. I don't check the projects listed here when I'm making a decision. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops...lol I will go post it there... My brain is all over with school kicking in to gear tomorrow.. Thank you again!

      Delete
  13. Hi,
    I think what you are doing for teachers is wonderful. Please vote for my donor's choose. The link is http://www.donorschoose.org/we-teach/1443988.269661165 I am asking for 2 tablets for my first grade classroom. The children would use these while doing Daily Five during my reading block and math block. Hopefully I can increase fluency , comprehension and instill the love of reading in my 6 year olds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am asking for livescribe pens for my first grade class. I am not sure if you are familiar with what they can do but they are able to record every pen stroke digitally and they also record audio. This would be so helpful in documenting how my students think and will give me better insight as to how to help take them beyond their struggles. From handwriting to double digit subtraction with regrouping (and even more) the livescribe pen will allow me to see what students are doing without the added pressure of me having to sit there and watch them. I have so many uses for these and would love to have them for the beginning of the year! Thank you for the wonderful things you do for teachers.


    http://www.donorschoose.org/project/documentation/807471/?verify=903272061&challengeid=226401

    ReplyDelete
  15. My proposal is for a reading center for my kindergarten students. Several have not had the opportunity to visit a public library and I would like to introduce them and encourage them to ask their parents to take them and "share" that time together!!
    http://www.donorschoose.org/project/our-reading-corner/779728/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am trying to get a iPad to use in my Pre-kindergarten classroom. Every year I try to make sure my students have everything they need to have a successful year and start of their schooling. Technology is an area my classroom is in desperate need and I am unable to improve this on my own. Http://www.donorschoose.org/project/iPads-in-prek-part-2/815802.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've mentioned this very post on my new blog. thought I'd send you the link in case you're interested! It's so new I only have 8 followers but hey, it's a start, right?

    http://rayofkindergartensunshine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Laura,
    I've enjoyed following your posts and using some of your classroom resources in my classroom. I am a huge Donors Choose person. I struggled getting some projects funded last school. I'm hoping to be a bit more successful this school year. I currently have 1 project posted on Donors Choose for new desks for my students. Our current desks are a one piece desk that does not allow us to sit in cooperative learning groups. It is very difficult to hold all of our supplies at these desks. Any assistance would be appreciated. Check out my current project at http://www.donorschoose.org/project/cooperative-seating-cooperative-learni/838453/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to post your project tomorrow on my Facebook page because that's where I look for projects to fund. Thanks!

      Delete
  19. http://www.donorschoose.org/we-teach/544347.1492002595

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mrs. Candler! I would like to be considered for the Donors Choose donation. I am so close to getting ball seats for my classroom and I would love it if you could help us. I have a class of very active students and they need to be moving constantly. I currently have one ball seat and it seems to help my ADHD students tremendously! Therefore, I decided to strive to get a class set of balls. If I get my donation project funded by Sunday, and people type INSPIRE into the code box, I'll get my ball seats! We only need $159.00 by Sunday. My project is called Ball Seats for An Active Group of 2nd Graders. Thank you and please visit my classroom website https://sites.google.com/a/salem.k12.va.us/mrsharrell/?pli=1

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Ms. Candler!! I enjoy your sites and resources immensely. Thank you for all that you do in the education field!

    I would LOVE to be considered for your Donors Choose donation.

    http://ow.ly/hC3nV

    My Donors Choose project ends 2/26...please help us reach our goal? Use code HEART by 2/18 to double contribution! My students and I would greatly appreciate any help.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to link up your project to my newest DonorsChoose initiative, DonorsChoose - Share the Love. Search for it on the blog. I don't check this blog post for projects to contribute to.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...