Wednesday, October 3, 2012

It's a DonorsChoose Linky Party!


Friends and Family Week: 
October 8 - 15

Laura's Project Link Up: Oct. 3 - 6
Voting for Projects: Oct. 7 - 10
Project Selection Dates: Oct. 11 - 15

DonorsChoose.org is one of my favorite nonprofit organizations, and next week they will be celebrating Friends and Family Week! This means all donations will be matched dollar for dollar when a special code is entered. I received thousands of dollars in classroom funding from DonorsChoose when I was teaching, so now I'd like to join the celebration by donating to TEN classroom projects next week! However, there are so many terrific projects that I need you to help me decide which projects to fund.

Linky Party Details
Here's how it will work. Between now and Saturday, each participating teacher may submit ONE DonorsChoose project to the collection of links at the end of this blog post. Then from Sunday to Wednesday, visitors to this blog will be able to vote for their 3 favorite projects. Be sure to let your friends and family know so they can stop by and vote! After the voting ends, I'll choose 10 projects for my donations. I'll automatically select the top 5 projects according to the votes, and the other 5 will be my choice.

Submit Your Project (Wednesday - Saturday)
To submit your project, add it to the Link Up at the bottom of this page. You may submit only ONE DonorsChoose project to this Link Up. Here's what to do:
  1. Go to your project page on DonorsChoose and copy the URL. 
  2. Click the blue Add Your Link button at the bottom of this post to display the 3 submission fields.
  3. Paste the URL from your DonorsChoose project page into URL block.
  4. For the Name field, write your project title - do not write your own name.
  5. Enter your email address. This will not be displayed but I can use it to contact you if needed. 
  6. Click Next Step, and you'll see a page of thumbnail images. Select an image that represents your DonorsChoose page and submit your link.
Vote (Sunday - Wednesday)
Starting on Sunday, you can send your friends and family to this page to vote.
  1. Each person may vote for their three favorite projects.
  2. Total vote counts are only displayed after three votes are cast. 
  3. After the voting closes on Wednesday at midnight, the projects will be reorganized according to the total number of votes.
Project Selection
I'll automatically contribute to the top 5 projects as determined by total votes. But don't worry if your project doesn't have the most votes because I'll also choose 5 more projects. It may take a while to review all of the projects, but I'll definitely choose them before the end of the day on October 15th so I can use the matching code to double my donations. If you would like more details about how I make my selections, you can read my guest blog post on the DonorsChoose.org blog.

More About DonorsChoose
DonorsChoose.org is a nonprofit organization that makes it possible for teachers to write proposals for classroom materials. The proposals are posted online and donors can choose which classroom projects they would like to help fund. As a result of these efforts, millions of dollars have been given to public school classrooms across America. To learn more about this organization and watch a free webinar about how to get your classroom project funded, visit my DonorsChoose page on Teaching Resources.

By the way, be sure to let your friends and family know about DonorsChoose Friends and Family Week. On my DonorsChoose page, you can find a sample letter to customize and send home after you receive your matching code on Monday. Good luck to all of you! 




25 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Thank you for this opportunity Laura!

    --jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes...I messed up my link...can you delete? I'm sorry! Found your awesome opportunity about 5 till 12 and was working too fast :(
    Good luck to the others! I'll be sure to vote often :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea!!! Wish I would have been able to link up my project. It's only 10p.m. here but I can't find the link to add my project. Good luck everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for doing this!!!! I think I will be donating to a few of these projects as well next week too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful! I tried to vote this morning and it allowed me to only vote for one project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please go back and place your other 2 votes. I'm sorry about the problem with only 1 vote allowed. I've updated the settings now.

      Delete
  6. Aw man! Just missed the deadline on signing up for the linky party. Saw a blogpost on my Reading List of blogs about this and would've loved to join up! Maybe next time.
    Best of luck to getting your projects met!!

    Jessica
    Second Grade Nest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! I've been announcing it on Facebook for about a week. You can follow me on Facebook to be sure you find out when I do another one:
      Teaching Resources on Facebook

      Delete
  7. A friend of mine has her project here, and she sent me the link so I could vote for her, but I don't see anywhere to vote. Below each picture is the number of votes each project has, but no place TO vote. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are seeing the number of votes, then you won't be able to vote from that computer. The system is set up to prevent multiple votes from the same IP address so you'll have to vote from home or another location. Sorry. I didn't set it up this way - it's the way Inlinkz works. I do understand why it's set up this way because someone could keep voting over and over from the same computer which would be unfair.

      Delete
    2. Got it! Thanks so much for your help! :)

      Delete
  8. We are very excited to say that Project #72 has been funded!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So excited #67 has been fully funded!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. That's wonderful! I'm thrilled for you!

      Delete
  11. #61 has been fully funded! Thank you for this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats to the winners, and people who got fully funded before this ended. :) Even though I didn't win, I can see I got some donations because this. Thanks for the opportunity to spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, remember that only the top 5 are being funded based on votes. After that, I'm choosing 5 more after I read through and review them. So you never know, but yours might be one of the other 5 selected!

      Delete
  13. Mine was fully funded overnight!!! Oh thank you for this opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is it too late to add my project to your list?

    http://www.donorschoose.org/project/busy-bees-keeping-our-classroom-squeaky/851726/?verify=853998118

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are too late. Sorry! Subscribe to my newsletter so you'll know when I have another one. You can use the button on this page near the top.

      Delete
  15. Hello! If you ever do anything like this again, please stop by my Teaching Linky page and let me know in the comments at the bottom and I'll help you promote it.

    http://www.squidoo.com/teachinglinkies

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...