Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Equivalent Fraction Pizza Fun

Most kids have trouble grasping fraction concepts at first, so I enjoyed starting my fraction unit with a fun cooperative learning activity called Pizza Fraction Fun. I've created a free teaching packet to share with you that includes the directions and printables you need for the lesson. This activity is designed for cooperative learning teams of four or five, and each member of the team will decorate one blank pizza pattern and cut it into fractional pieces. Those pieces are later used to solve equivalent fraction problems. In fact, I kept the pizza fraction pieces for each team in a manila envelope to use throughout the unit when comparing fractions, adding and subtracting fractions, and so on.

I love to integrate literature with math when possible, so I began the lesson by reading aloud the picture book Lunch with Cat and Dog. Even though the book was a little babyish for them, they loved it! It's is a silly story that introduces students to the importance of equal portions, and it's a quick read. After that, I posed a similar fraction word problem for them to discuss.

You can download my free Pizza Fraction Fun activity from my store on TeachersPayTeachers.com. Click the Follow Me link at the top of the page to be notified when I add more new freebies and items to my page. You can also download it from my Fraction page on Teaching Resources. I hope your students enjoy this activity as much as mine did!






No comments:

Post a Comment