Friday, October 19, 2012

Join Me in Greensboro!

Two Terrific Conferences!


The next few weeks are going to be an exciting time for me, and I hope you'll join me for some of the fun! I'm going to be presenting sessions at two state conferences here in North Carolina, and both of them are at the Koury Center in Greensboro. Next week Ill be presenting at the NC State Math Conference, and during the first week in November I'll be presenting at the NC Elementary School Conference. If you are planning to attend either or both conferences, I hope you'll find me and introduce yourself. The best part about attending educational conferences is having a chance to meet and network with other educators, so don't be shy if you see me around!

NC State Math Conference (October 24 and 25)
The NC State Math Conference is sponsored by the NC Council of Teachers of Mathematics, and I'm honored to have been asked to present a keynote at this meeting. I'm also presenting a workshop the next day. Online registration has ended for this conference, but you can still register on site. Visit the NCCTM website for more information. Here are my session details in case you want to attend one or both of them:
Crafting the Perfect Common Core Math Lesson (Keynote)
When: Thursday, October 25th, 2:30 to 4:00 p.m.
Are you struggling with how to develop lessons that meet Common Core standards? In this session, I'll share how implementation of Common Core standards is more like a journey than a destination, and I promise to keep you engaged as we explore this topic.
Teaching Math for Mastery (Workshop)
When: Friday, October 26th, 8:30 to 10:00 a.m.
This is an updated version of a workshop I've taught before how to use the Mastery Learning approach in math. I've revised it to align the strategies with Common Core best practices Unfortunately, it's limited to 40 participants and you have to sign up for it in advance. However, the session was listed incorrectly as "Mastery Learning" during the registration process and I don't think it's full. You may be able to get a ticket at the registration desk when you arrive. Also, I've found that sometimes people with tickets don't show up for workshops, and you are welcome to attend if there's an open seat at 8:30 a.m.!

NC Elementary School Conference (November 4 - 6)
The NC Elementary School Conference is sponsored by the NC Association of Elementary Educators (NCAEE), an organization that's near and dear to my heart for a few reasons. First of all, it's one of the few Elementary Education Associations in the nation, and it has been sponsoring an amazing conference every year for almost 10 years. I've served on the Executive Board for the past 4 years, and I'm now honored to be taking over as President of the NCAEE for the coming year. The NCAEE Board has exciting plans for the 2012-2013 school year, so if you are an elementary teacher in NC, I hope you'll attend this conference and share our journey. Our theme this year is Growing with Common Core and Essential Standards. We have some wonderful presenters lined up, and registration is still open. You can learn more about the conference and how to register by visiting the NCAEE website.  I'll be presenting the following two sessions this year:


Creating Common Core Lessons with Graphic Organizers 
When: Sunday, 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
In this session, I'll share easy strategies for teaching Common Core Reading Standards by pairing favorite read alouds with specific graphic organizers. You'll be able to explore new strategies and collaborate with other participants! Attendees will receive free access to a set of Common Core Reading Graphic Organizer charts for Grades 2 - 6.
Teaching Math for Mastery
When: Tuesday, 11:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
This session is a repeat of the one I'll be presenting at the math conference. I've found the Mastery Learning model to be extremely effective when it comes to ensuring that all students are successful in math. In this session, I'll give an overview of Mastery Learning and explain how you can use this type of instruction to help students meet Common Core standards. We'll also explore a variety of simple strategies for active engagement in math.

Treat Yourself and Enjoy Greensboro!
I hope you’ll join me in Greensboro for one or both of these conferences. If you’ve never been to the Koury Center, you’re in for a treat. It’s a great place to network with other teachers, relax, and enjoy a break from the classroom. Just between you and me, another reason teachers love the Koury is that it’s within walking distance of the Four Seasons Mall in Greensboro! Who could ask for more? Great sessions during the day and great dining and shopping at night! 



4 comments:

  1. Laura, I love the bright green! It kind of works to make you more awake!Seriously though, I do love the new banner at the top. Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The look is great (though I don't remember what the old one looks like :( - Wierd, because I've been a follwer for years)!! I've always loved your resources & will continue to use them in my room! :)

    Ashley
    Primary Teacherhood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your presentation at the NCCTM Math Conference. I was sitting in the front row of your Keynote on Crafting the Perfect Common Core lesson. Did you say you were posting the Power Point online?

    Also, NCDPI does NOT have a 6th grade math lesson on the wiki :(

    Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that DPI doesn't have a 6th grade math lesson. I'm hoping they are working on it! I have placed a PDF file of the PowerPoint on the page that was given on your handout. It's not a PowerPoint - during the session I said I would post a PDF version of the presentation. It's the very first link on that page.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...