Sunday, November 25, 2012

Holiday Learning Link Up

Seasonal activities can add a bit of fun each month, especially during the weeks leading up to your winter holiday! To help teachers find great resources for this time of year, I've created a Holiday Learning Link Up of upper elementary resources. Each blog post below includes a teaching activity to use during the next few weeks. Whether they are products or freebies, all of them will save you time and will help make December an exciting, fun-filled month in your classroom. After you read about one of my favorite lessons, you can hop from blog to blog to find other terrific resources for this time of year!

Sugar Cone Christmas Trees 
One of my favorite holiday activities was to have my students follow a recipe to make Sugar Cone Christmas Trees.  Reading and following a recipe might be considered an appropriate learning activity in 2nd grade, but since I taught 5th grade I decided to kick it up a notch by creating a set of comprehension questions to go with the recipe. I formatted the questions to make them similar to the ones on state tests, so the activity serves as a test prep lesson as well. After my students created their sugar cone Christmas Trees, I allowed them to eat their treats while answering the questions. Of course, many students did not want to eat their creations right away so I always provided gallon zip top bags for them to take home their treats.

December Activity Mini Pack
You can find the Sugar Cone Christmas Tree recipe and comprehension questions in my December Activities Mini Pack along with a materials-request letter to send home to parents. This activity is available from my TpT store and on the Seasonal Page on Teaching Resources. As always, you can preview that packet online to see if it meets your needs. You'll find loads of activities to use this month along with directions and answer keys, including a Holidays Around the Word research activity, a Dreidel game, and holiday homework passes.

Christmas Math Puzzlers Freebie
I love to share freebies with my followers, so this blog post would not be complete without sharing a holiday freebie. The Christmas Math Puzzler pages shown here are actually a part of the December Activities Mini Pack, but you can download them for free from my TeachersPayTeachers store. These are two pages of math word problems on different levels, and they can be used for cooperative learning activities or independent assignments.


I hope these activities will help you enjoy those hectic days before your winter break. Happy holidays to you!





3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for starting this link up Laura. I'm excited to come back and get more holiday ideas. :)
    Katie
    I Want to be a Super Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is really informative for students who learn online. Thanks for sharing information with us regarding Business Plan Assistance Online keep continue.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...