Sunday, January 13, 2013

Fund-day Sunday on Facebook

Get Funding for Your Classroom Project!

If you are a fan of the Teaching Resources Facebook page, you'll know that every Sunday I host a special event called Fund-day Sunday to help teachers obtain funding for their DonorsChoose projects. If so, you might be wondering what it is and how to get involved. As a bit of background, DonorsChoose.org is a nonprofit organization that helps teachers get funding for their projects, and if you aren't familiar with it, please read the information I've gathered on this topic on Teaching Resources. There's a free video along with other resources.

Back to Fund-day Sunday ... this event is a part of my Caring Classrooms Community. The way it works is that I call for projects at 8 a.m. Sunday morning, and teachers post their links on the Caring Classrooms Facebook page. I review the projects, and from those submitted I select projects that will be added to the Caring Classrooms giving page where they are just about guaranteed to get funded, usually within a week or so. I also make a donation to the project myself. I usually choose at least 4 projects during the day on Sunday and Monday. In order to post your project link, you do have to make at lease a $1 donation to one of the projects on the giving page. You can find the complete details and guidelines for making requests on Teaching Resources.

How to Participate
If you have a project proposal online, here's how to submit it for consideration:
  1. Begin by visiting my Caring Classroom Facebook page and clicking the Like button to follow it.
  2. Check back each Sunday morning to find the Fund-day Sunday request that goes out at 8 a.m. EST. 
  3. Donate at least $1 to a project on the Caring Classrooms Giving Page on Sunday before you post your own project link. If there's a matching code available, please use it. 
  4. Post a link to one of your project proposals along with a short description of the project and why it's important to you. Please tell which project you donated to on the giving page.
  5. Check back on the Facebook page throughout the day to see if your project was selected. 
Note: Please don't post your requests directly on the Wall or they will get lost. Also, pin this blog post and share my request for proposals with your friends to encourage them to participate, too.

When I was in the classroom, I received thousands of dollars of funding from DonorsChoose, and it meant so much to receive that kind of support. Now that I'm no longer teaching, I love being able to help dedicated classroom teachers who give so much of themselves. I applaud all of you for the difference you are making in your students' lives!




6 comments:

  1. This is an awesome opportunity. You are so kind! I'm your newest follower!
    Theresa
    Pinkadots Elementary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great opportunity! I am a first year teacher and a new follower of yourblog and facebook :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for including non-public schools! I tried to set up a DonorsChoose today only to find that I don't qualify because I teach in a private school. Through your blog I've been able to find a possible way to get my project funded...Thank you!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found some other options. I hope that one day DC will open to private schools.

      Delete
  4. I have submitted a donors choose project. Once it is approved how do I try and gte Caring Community donations?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome connection you offer! My first donors choose project just went live, so I look forward to submitting it on Fund-Day Sunday! Thank you!
    Stacey
    Teaching Ever After

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...