June 23, 2013

Mastering Math Facts Webinar - Take Two!

All New Mastering Multiplication Facts Webinar!
Click for Recording

One of the biggest obstacles my 4th and 5th graders faced in math was not knowing the multiplication facts fluently. Of course they were supposed to know those math facts inside out and upside down, but they didn't. If you've taught those grades, I know you can relate to my frustration. When students don't know the times tables, working with factors, multiples, division, and fractions becomes a challenge to say the least.

Luckily this problem is one that can be corrected, as long as you are willing to apply a bit of dedication and persistence. Years ago I developed a system for ensuring multiplication fact mastery, and I used it successfully with all of my students. The program included a motivational system for developing fluency called "Here's the Scoop on Multiplication" in which students added paper ice cream scoops to a cone as they learned their times tables. Just as importantly, it also included lessons for developing the foundations of conceptual understanding. The system worked so well for me that I decided to write about an ebook about it, Mastering Math Facts: Multiplication and Division. I also shared the complete system in a live, recorded webinar.

The ebook was so popular that I decided to have it professionally formatted and published in print. As I revised the book, I added suggestions from teachers who had use the program with their students and aligned it with the Common Core State Standards. I reorganized the book to make it even easier to read, and it's now available in both print and digital formats as Mastering Math Facts Multiplication and Division: Aligned with the Common Core.

Mastering Multiplication Facts - Take 2
On July 16th I hosted a revised version of my original webinar called Mastering Multiplication Facts - Take 2. If you were not able to watch the live webinar, I now have several versions of the recording on my Multiplication page. You can also download the free sampler pack and the chat transcript from that page.

More Free Webinars
I really enjoy hosting live webinars to share teaching strategies, and I've conducted them on everything from how to apply for a DonorsChoose grant, to literature circles and math problem solving. To view my other webinar recordings, visit my Webinars page on Teaching Resources. I'm already planning my next webinar, but I'm not saying what it is just yet. If you want to be notified when registration is ready, please sign up for my Candler's Classroom Connections newsletter. I'm looking forward to seeing you in a webinar soon!







3 comments:

  1. I really did enjoy reading your book and doing a review on it. : ) I wish you the best of luck getting it into as many hands as possible. Your work is great!
    Kids Math Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura, I am purchasing your book, but wondered if you have a similar version for addition and subtraction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A book on addition and subtraction is in the works, but it won't be available in print and there won't be any kind of combo offer. However, it will still be a great book! I'm co-authoring this book with a primary grade teacher to ensure top-notch content, and we are going to get started on it in a few weeks. I hope to have it available in a few months. Sign up for my newsletters at www.lauracandler.com/signup.php to be sure you find out about the new book when it comes out.

      Delete