Thursday, November 24, 2011

Share the Joy of Giving!

One of the things I miss most about not being in the classroom is the opportunity to teach my students about the joy of giving. Every year I would find a needy family in the community (not at our school) and my students would contribute cash and gifts based on that family's needs. I also asked for donations of wrapping paper, boxes, and bows. You can download the project description and a sample letter from the Seasonal page on Teaching Resources or from my TpT Store.

Our Holiday Giving Project was so exciting and such a special time! I asked my students to bring in their items a few days before we got out for the holidays. We had a gift wrapping party in the afternoon, and I taught them all how to wrap a present with style! You would think that 5th graders would know how to wrap a gift, but I learned the first time I did this project that most had never been taught. So I borrowed a box of crayons for each student from the supply room, and they had to practice wrapping that box until it was perfect before I would let them touch the rolls of wrapping paper. Each student chose a partner and they teamed up to wrap gifts. Then we took a class picture at the end of the day. You can see the joy of giving all over their faces - what a wonderful lesson for students of any age!

Mrs. Candler's Awesome Class of 2010!



3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea , training, and warm fun and social activity for the students ! Not to mention the joy for the receiving family in need. Cool !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in a very small town. We have several churches adopt families. We have a boys and girls club but it is 45 minutes away from our town. Do you think it would work to pick two names to support from the boys and girls club?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great plan to me! I would contact the director of the boys and girls club to work out the details. I would not want to choose children that your students might know because it would be embarrassing. If the club is 45 minutes away, it's unlikely that your students would know the kids so I think this would be a good choice.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...